The Institute for Highway Safety has recently revealed the most dangerous vehicles on the road. The 7 cars identified in this report received poor marks in crash testing and are likely to cause personal injury and serious bodily injury in an automobile accident. The institute for highway safety uses four primary tests for assessing a cars crash ratings:
- A 40 mph offset crash in which the vehicle strikes a stationary object;
- A side impact test in which a heavy SUV-type vehicle T-bones the test car;
- Rollover testing in which the car intentionally strikes a metal strip to see how much force is required before the car flips; and
- A rear-end impact in which the head restraints and seat belts are tested to identify the ability to reduce or eliminate whiplash.
The cars on this list that were the lowest scoring generally received poor marks in two of the four above categories. The seven vehicles identified in this test were:
- Suzuki SX4 which received poor marks for rear end impacts and vehicle rollovers;
- Jeep Wrangler which received poor marks for side impacts and rollovers;
- Nissan Pathfinder which received poor marks for rollovers and rear end impacts;
- Mazda CX-9 which also received poor scores for rollovers and rear end impacts;
- Mazda CX-7 (see above);
- Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab which scored poorly for side impacts, rear end impacts and rollovers;
- Dodge Ram 1500 which received poor scores in side impacts and rollovers.
Trucks and SUVs have a notorious history of vehicle rollovers in single vehicle and other serious auto accidents. A vehicle rollover is one of the most serious car accidents that can occur often resulting in catastrophic injury or death. For this reason, cars that perform poorly on the rollover test are never going to be recommended by the Institute for Highway Safety.
In addition to the increased likelihood and severity of injury, cars that score poorly on these types of tests might also cost you in increased insurance premiums. Poor design and engineering of SUVs or other vehicles likely to rollover might also justify a product liability claim. If you were involved in a rollover accident, either as a driver or passenger, it is worth speaking to an experienced personal injury attorney right away.
Attorney Joseph Lamy is a car accident specialist and can help ensure that you receive everything you are entitled to for your personal injury settlement. There is no fee unless and until we receive money for you. Contact our office right away for a free consultation.