It is easy for bands struggling to break free from the garage and make it big to think that legal issues surrounding music only occur to big national acts. While there may be some truth to this, the music you are writing right now may one day be an income generating hit.
Therefore, it is best for bands even in the early stages to have a partnership agreement that can help identify:
- ownership of musical rights;
- percentages of revenue;
- ownership of equipment;
- how responsibilities are shared;
- ownership of the band name and/or logo;
- distribution of band assets after termination, and;
- how the band is affected when members join or leave the band.
These are but a few of the essential questions that should be put to writing in a band partnership agreement as soon as your group begins to make money and perform live shows. I will be happy to help you with this process which can give your band peace of mind so that you can concentrate on making music.